Friday, August 1, 2014

A-B-C-D...One two three shoot!




Previously, before the strike of the typhoon 'Glenda', I have written about our discussion and trial shoots using different lighting patterns. I have also posted the photographs of my mother that I have taken. Then on Wednesday, we were tasked to do compositions photography. 

Our facilitator had shown us sample pictures that he had taken. He started with letter 'A' down to letter 'Z'. Afterwards, we head on to maximizing our time searching for subjects that look like letters. During the start of the practical session of shooting, my classmates were saying that it would be hard to find something that may look like 'Q'. Meanwhile, right after they said it my sight focused on the umbrellas they were letting to dry in front. Since I was seated there, the letter was clear to me but somehow it also wasn't (if you get what I mean) so I just continued looking around for the other letters.

Usually, I go outside of the Mass Comm Lab to find subjects and take pictures. But in this case, for no apparent and unclear reason I have chosen to wander around inside and just outside the door of the room to take pictures. The spots where I have been taking photos from were rather accident prone areas. It was because when I was shooting the curtain above the doorway I was startled with Ting, a classmate, who opened the door not too softly. My heartbeat was still fast but, on the process of telling her my reaction I also thanked her because I have found two more letters, at the door!

The second accident was when I was taking pictures of the floor on the outer side of the door. I have seen an indistinct scrapes or bumps on the ground that appears to me as a letter but then I almost got my own bumps on my forehead because our instructor opened the door. Anyway, we just laughed with the happening and to myself knowing that I really tend to be absentminded when I am absorbed doing something.





These were not actually the ones I have included in my alphabet collage.

Setting aside the photography lessons for a while, I have perceived myself to have a good spatial skill since the world begun. This should also be the reason I believe I am a paranoid. I tend to see faces looking at me on the tiles of our floor and of our comfort room. I even saw a half-body Genie on our restroom just under the soap dispenser and yes he was staring at me (past tense because we already changed the tiles). Having this belief I did not dwell too much on how will I find subjects that are abstract enough and that look like letters. Rather, I realized that perception also applies in composition photography. What you see is different from what others see. I may see this certain subject is a letter but there will not be an assurance if they see it the same way. Therefore, I must conclude that the crucial part of this kind of photography is not merely your subject but how you take it.

I am still a learner so I admit that I did have a hard time looking for letter subjects particularly ‘K’ and ‘Z’.


Note that most or half of the pictures in this collage were taken only with the use of a point and shoot digital camera because I was not able to borrow a DSLR. Also, most of my subjects were taken from our house and from our classroom (Mass Comm Lab).



Here's my alphabet collage:



No comments:

Post a Comment