Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Beauty from different talks of light (Lighting patterns)


On our previous meeting we recapped the light painting activity we had. Sir Rey discussed some of the positive and negative points of our trials and works we published on our blog posts, as usual. Not long after we moved on to our next practice—the different lighting patterns for portraits. There are four basic lighting patterns: split, butterfly (paramount/glamorous), loop, and Rembrandt. To be able to practice using these we were permitted to find our suited partner taking the role of the model and the other as the photographer and then vice-versa.


I’m going to start with the easiest pattern for me. Rembrandt. It was just basically the pattern of lighting a well-known painter used (from whom its name originated), it was his trademark, which was later recognized as a formal lighting pattern in photography. It pertains to the kind of lighting wherein the shadow contouring one cheekbone is prominent and forming a triangle between the nose and the cheek. It was easier for me because all I have to do was to have a dim studio, a studio light, the model, and a little re-positioning and I can take a photo using this pattern. I often did it accidentally. Even when I was trying to use another pattern but it would end up it was Rembrandt. It happens especially if I’m trying to shoot a picture using the loop pattern which has similarity with this. Yet, in loop lighting the nose and cheek’s pattern would not meet, creating only a subtle shadow or contour on the cheekbone (under the eye). It was funny though, because I know that the outcome of my attempt should only be satisfying if I achieved what I was hoping to for my subject.


Next, was the Butterfly lighting. This is one of the most crucial for me because this is where the complexity of different models with different features takes place. It was also called as glamorous and or paramount. It was named butterfly since when used there would be a shadow below the nose that forms a butterfly. It was hard because people have different facial features especially the nose which is the identifier of this pattern. However, Filipinos are characterized to being ‘pango’ or having round and a bigger nose. Thankfully, later on I succeeded to learn a technique on how to use it. What I do before was to take from above eye level it turned out to be all right. Then, when I tried shooting from below eye level I got a clearer butterfly shadow with my model, Eunice bowing a bit. The last one is split or side lighting. Split lighting pattern makes the subject look slim. It exposes the model more prominently on one side while the other is silhouette creating a dramatic or mellow mood. I was actually having this idea that people who read this will master using split lighting. Then, before we were dismissed some of the different magazine-cover-look poses that Sir Rey knows were shared to us and all us girls even demoed.


And because of this activity, we were tasked to shoot portraits of a family member using any of these lighting patterns. This is a difficult task for me due to my lack of equipment to use and and a studio where I can use studio lights and have spacious area to take pictures comfortably. With this being said, I have to adjust (for the nth but not the last time) to the resources I have: a tiny room, natural light (sunlight from the window), a couple of improvised lights, my beloved mother as the model, and the camera I borrowed from the school. I thought of strategies on how I would shoot with alternatives for a studio light indoors.


So, I came up with the plan to do the photo session at night when it was dark. I turned off all the lights in our room leaving only my small USB LED lamp connected in my computer and the also small flashlight my father lent me. It was tiring for the arm and for my model’s legs since she was standing for quite a while. Like usual, I had a hard time getting the right setting. Then, I had come up with the conclusion that maybe using natural light would be easier and more effective to our very constricted working place.



Here are the outcomes…





#LightofMyLife
Copyright MarCaDi



PS:

The shots I had taken during our actual class activity will be attached here to follow when I get the copies.




No comments:

Post a Comment